After figuring out that I couldn’t afford an unlimited supply of canvases, I decided to try and get resourceful by doing abstract paintings on old vinyl records I had laying around.
It was the perfect combo for me: abstract paintings and the reference to music combined all into one!
I also hadn’t tried what artists call a “dirty pour” either. In fluid painting, a “dirty pour” is where you pour all your paint colors into one cup, give them a gentle stir, and pour the paint onto your canvas. It’s super random and hopefully you get some good reactions from the paints and whatever else you might use. Some people mix their paints with silicone, glue, dish soap, and a lot of other things. I usually just use acrylic paint, pouring medium and water. The consistency is key and what I struggled with the most when trying to figure out this painting technique.
The following images were taken after they were recently created and are still wet. I only cut them out in Photoshop so you can see where the edges start and begin on the record in relationship to the background.
“Sun of A Double Gulp”
This was the very first abstract painting on a record I did. It’s technically not a “dirty pour” and considered to be just “fluid painting.”
After the paintings dried, I was a little disappointed. I noticed the paintings had lost their luster and were a bit dull. So, I applied an epoxy resin to them and it brought them back to life! (sorry about the reflections in the photo)
Next, was to figure out how to frame these paintings and I kept thinking about how platinum records were framed. I love how official they look and I’m also a big lover and creator of music. So, if I can’t sell records the old fashioned way, I’ll paint them! Let’s go platinum.
There’s a small white angled beveled edge on the matte that really helps the record pop!
The nameplate helped make the framed painting look pretty official!
I also had an idea to do abstract paintings on records and then make them into clocks.
But, I’m honestly not real crazy about the idea anymore. After experimenting, I realized that I would have to dull down the colors and design so you can actually tell what time it is. It’s hard to see the clock hands from certain angles if they don’t contrast enough with the background. Oh well… live and learn.